IMANTA is pleased to announce our self-administered scholarship program for 2014/2015, funded by our ongoing casino program and governed by the regulations of the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission. Available Funding ($25,000)
The IMANTA ‘Lāčplēsis’ Scholarship Full Time Post-Secondary Scholarship up to $2,500
The IMANTA ‘Staburags’ Scholarship Part-Time Post-Secondary Scholarship up to $1,000
The IMANTA ‘Draugi’ Scholarship Continuing Education Course(s) Scholarship up to $500 Scholarship
Eligibility The following requirements must be met:
- Alberta residents who are Canadian citizens, landed immigrants, or foreign students on visa
- The applicant must be registered as a full or part-time student as defined by the accredited or licensed educational institution.
All accredited post secondary educational institutions in Canada, Such institutions include universities, colleges, polytechnics and trades training institutions that the Adjudication Committee is satisfied are duly accredited or licenced. Scholarship Award Criteria Awards will be made by the Adjudication Committee appointed by Imanta on the basis of adjudication and ranking of the Applicants’ completed Scholarship Applications, academic achievements (overall average) for post-secondary students, community involvement in the past year and completed essays relating to the subject specified below, as required for post secondary students. Application Process Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed Scholarship Application Form
- 1,000 word essay for full time applications; 500 word essay for part time post-secondary applications.
Topic: What is a Latvian? What are the defining characteristics of Latvian identity?
- Course marks and overall average for the preceding year (for post-secondary applicants) evidenced by a registrar’s certificate or other approved form from the educational institution.
- Documentation relating to any community involvement (correspondence or a description of activities in the past year). Please identify if there has been no community involvement.
- Specifically describe your involvement in Imanta activities (in the past 12 months).
Deadline for applications for scholarships relating to enrolment in a fall program must be received by the Adjudication Committee by no later than October 1, 2014 and awards for fall programs will be announced by November 15, 2014. Imanta may authorize the Adjudication Committee to receive applications for academic periods that commence other than in the fall, but only for the period between September 1, 2014 to August 31, 2015. Payment will be made directly to the individual upon submission of proof of attendance (i.e. tuition receipt) at the recognized educational institution.
Submit applications to:
The Edmonton Latvian Society “Imanta”
Attn: Adjudication Committee
1209 Wershof Road
Edmonton, Alberta T6M 2M2
Link to application form: